Market Players [Hardback]
A Guide to the Institutions in Today's Financial Marketsby Gail Rolland
Usually ships within 2 to 4 working days
Also Available as an eBook:
Description of Market PlayersThe global financial markets are not just driven by the big investment houses and fund managers. Along with these, private banks, insurance houses, hedge funds, sovereign wealth funds and a range of boutique investment managers, regional institutions and brokers of different sizes and nationalities all operate and interact to form the bedrock of the global financial infrastructure. Because of this, it is essential that practitioners and observers of the markets fully understand the linkages, objectives and functions of these institutions, and the new and dynamic environment they are working in.
Market Players provides a complete roadmap to the institutions and intermediaries operating in today's global financial landscape, illustrating what they are, how they work, how they interact and importantly, their motivation. It explains the core financial market business of these institutions and considers how they have become the firms that we see today, providing readers with a clear understanding of which market sectors are likely to see the most involvement from the different types of institution and, importantly, why they are involved in these market areas.
Key features include:
- a series of case studies looking at examples of some of these institutions including an explanation of the EIB and the UK agency UKFI. They also look at the financial crisis and the impact on AIG and Northern Rock, two institutions that clearly illustrate what can go wrong and how the other market players have to step in when this happens.
- an international perspective looking at representative institutions from Europe, Asia and North America, showing global similarities and differences.
- a Post Financial Crisis perspective on the structure of international banks in today's markets. coverage of the major players on both the buy and sell side of the market
Written in plain English, Market Players is an accessible and much needed guide to financial institutions, equipping readers with the knowledge to better understand how the global financial markets really work.
Write a review of this book
Customer Reviews from Amazon
About Gail RollandGAIL ROLLAND has been involved with financial markets for more than twenty-five years, initially working on the dealing desks of a number of international banks in London and New York and latterly as a financial markets trainer and consultant at Rolland Consultancy. Through both her hands-on experience and consultancy she brings an in-depth knowledge of the infrastructure of the industry of banking and financial markets to this book. As a consultant she works on an international basis with a wide range of clients including banks, insurance companies and financial technology firms, providing training and management and strategic consultancy on a variety of topics.
Contents of Market PlayersIntroduction
PART I. BANKS
2. Commercial and Retail Banking
3. Investment Banking
4. Private Banking
5. Central Banks and Market Regulators
PART II. INTERNATIONAL COMPARISONS
7. Banking in Europe
14. Islamic Finance Institutions
15. Microfinance Institutions
PART III. QUASI-SOVEREIGNS AND SUPRANATIONAL AGENCIES
18. Government Agencies
19. Supranational Agencies
PART IV. INVESTMENT COMPANIES
21. Basic Structure of Investment Management
22. Traditional Investment Managers
23. Hedge Funds
24. Insurance Companies
25. Sovereign Wealth Funds
PART V. TRADITIONAL NON BANK INTERMEDIARIES
27. Inter-Dealer Brokers
28. Agency Brokers
29. Venture Capital Companies
Appendix A. The Financial Crisis - Six Months that Changed Investment Banking
Appendix B. Northern Rock
Appendix C. UK Financial Investments
Appendix D. The European Investment Bank
Appendix E. AIG